"...upon this rock I will build my church;
and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
- Matthew 16:18
The Greater New Mt. Hermon Baptist Church has come a long way from its humble beginnings in 1952. Nothing but the grace and mercy of God has allowed us to be here, still lifting His name in praise and worship.
After serving as a junior minister at the Solid Rock Baptist Church of Oakland and Pastor of Floyd Chapel Community Church of Vallejo, Pastor Nelson Davis was led by the Holy Spirit to organize the Greater New Mount Hermon Baptist Church with 3 members - his wife, Sister Lorene Davis, his sister-in-law, Sister Doris Bishop, and a borrowed member, Sister Viola Taylor in July of 1952.
The church was initially located in West Oakland at 5th and Willow Streets and the congregation grew. The church remained in West Oakland for 10 years at various locations - 323 Henry Street; 711 Myrtle Street and 809 Myrtle Street.
Urban renewal and a freeway construction project precipitated our move to Berkeley to a new church building at 936 Channing Way. After a short stay in that location, the devil reared his ugly head. The building was sold from under us, but praise almighty God, what the devil meant for our destruction, God meant it for our good. Rev. Benjamin Cooper invited us to worship with his congregation in Oakland and we began to do so - still having spirit-filled services.
In June of 1962, we purchased a small house at 1021 Channing Way in Berkeley. Modifications were made to the interior of the home and it was converted into a church with the hard work and dedication of the faithful members who remained throughout the transition. It was on September 3, 1973 that a miracle occurred in that little wooden church at the corner of 10th and Channing Way. Crosses appeared in the church windows and people from across the Bay Area and beyond flocked to see this marvelous work of God. As a matter of fact, thousands came to see those crosses, and we praise God that many were saved, healed, delivered and set free during this time of blessing. It was during this time, the Lord gave Pastor Davis the 91st Psalm for the edification of the church and we continue to recite verses 1 through 11 of this passage today.
In 1976, Pastor Davis had a vision to build a new church on this corner. Walking by faith, we began to build and subsequently, we moved during construction to 3109 Sacramento Street in Berkeley and had our first worship service there on April 8, 1980. God continued to dwell with us and on August 1, 1982, we held our last service on Sacramento Street. We moved, once again, to 10th and Bancroft Way in Berkeley and held our first service there on August 8, 1982.
Praise be to GOD which giveth us the victory through Jesus Christ, our Lord!
On July 17, 1983, we finally marched into our newly finished church building rejoicing and praising God for His mighty acts. Pastor Davis preached from the subject, "Stand Still and Let the Lord Fight Your Battle", taken from Exodus 14:13-14.
We thank and praise God for the visionary of this house, the late Pastor Nelson Davis and his wife, the late Lady Lorene Davis, who together, made many sacrifices for this church and were true examples of faith and love.
Greater New Mt. Hermon Baptist Church is still standing on the promises of God. Many said it couldn't be done, but the God that we serve is able to do exceeding and abundantly more than we could ask or think.
We are continuing to move forward in the strength of God, knowing He will never leave us nor forsake us; knowing that if God be for us, who can be against us; knowing that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us; knowing that we are more than conquerors through Christ, who loved us; knowing God will supply all of our needs according to His riches in glory, through Christ Jesus.